Sunday, August 28, 2011

Up Close & Personal with Author - A. M. Esmonde author of Blood Hunger and Dead Pulse.

Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in Wales, UK, the same town as Catherine Zeta Jones. Being half Irish, half Maltese wherever I lay my hat really.

How long have you been writing?

A long time, actually I wrote my first screenplay on a typewriter, then moved up to a word processor. I recall the internet being quiet new thing...  Over 17 years. How times change eh?

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

Dead Pulse – A definitive horror adventure and homage to the undead genre. That’s less than 30 right?

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

Blood Hunger’s character Wilton would probably say - “Hurry onto the next question the chase is afoot my friend.”

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

Yes, Darkest Moons. The plan was with write three horror genre books Blood Hunger (vampire), Dead Pulse (zombie) and Darkest Moons (werewolf)  that encompassed the folklore and were true to the origins, to entertain not reinvent the wheel. That sai there’s plenty of surprises. They’re not a series as such but they are linked subtly through some of the sub characters. I was hoping with a bit more backing then to finish my Sci-fi The final version and ghost story Riverside Hotel.  

What or who inspired you to write? 
Endless video films, a supply teacher called Mike Watkins, played a guitar, really nice bloke. Encouraging. Originally I wanted to write screenplays. But novel writing, Louise Lawrence, H.G Wells and Herbert.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

Originally, they were to be called a Vampire tale, Zombie Tale and so on. But I was asked to come up with something less bland. The titles went through many changes.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?
The character quirks and a few nuances are on real people. The 15th Century segments of Blood Hunger were painfully researched. There’s lots of factual history mentioned that forms part of the backdrop. The weapons and military material in Dead Pulse is 99 percent fact. 

I left a commission project based on a true crime. Reality is horrific the victims and family etc. It’s not nice, no matter how you pen it. My conscience prefers reality based fiction.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?
James Herbert’s Creed for its anti-hero epitome. Eaters of the Dead for its style and unconventional construction.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

It was great to meet my hero James Herbert and have a drink. I’ve met Ramsey Campbell, Chris Fowler, Tanith Lee and Neil Gaiman. Michael Crichton sadly died. I suppose King and Jackie Collins.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
Paperback books hands down. Nothing like holding it, turning pages.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
Mostly online, sadly. There’s more choice.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author? Both, I also had the pleasure and pain of both too. I’ve signed things hastily and made bad decisions, learned the hard way. Internationality there's unscrupulous people hiding behind an internet mask. Would don;t have your editing, story or writing at heart. The Breathing Dead novelette was a disaster. There's countless versions out there. Luckily it's out of print. 

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

The Shining, it took the essence of a good book and turned it into something mystically grounded.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
Paperback, Evil Spirits: The Life of Oliver Reed

What book do you know that you will never read?
Never say never.

Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest and why?

There’s so many... Umm Richard J Parker, he can put a good thriller together. And Eric Rickstad is fresh.

Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?
There’s always something you want to change. But I’m happy with the versions of Dead Pulse and Blood Hunger. Probably with Dead Pulse I wouldn’t have killed off so many characters, but it’s that - who going live, thats makes it interesting I suppose. My editor burdens some of the pain.

Who designed the cover of your book? I studied art and design so I have a big constructive input. They couldn’t afford the art of Steve Crisp or Les Edwards but I had a good model and photographer. I wanted to capture that the feel of the book. Dead Pulse has a face in a body-bag. Blood Hunger a blooded woman with London and a Castle behind. The female characters are focal for me, the male protagonist have had enough limelight.

Do you have a book trailer?
Yes they can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/breathingdeadtales

What are your thoughts on book trailers?
It’s a competitive market, I’m not a big fan myself but they’re essential. I was lucky to have made a prelude film to Blood Hunger called ‘Terminus’. It's out in the US on V.O.D. We used footage and photos from a photo-shoot I directed. Author of the Meg series Steve Alten gave some advice that was helpful, I made a lot of changes because of his input.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Believe in yourself and keep plugging.

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?

 "Show the reader not tell the reader." Another piece advice I was given by Alten was - don't commit every book to one publisher
  
Laptop or desktop for writing?

I have started using the Laptop. Just to be more accessible, on-hand for the family.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Schwarzenegger that guy’s going to be a star, Emmanuelle Seigner and Ridley Scott.

One of your favorite quotes –
" I am a musician and the monkey is a businessman. He doesn't tell me what to play, and I don't tell him what to do with his money. "

List 3 of your all time favorite movies?
Frantic
After hours
Jaws

An actor you have a crush on - Oh Grace Kelly. I have a thing for dead people. Alive - Mmm, Keira Knightley, wait, Rachel Mcadams, no I'll be here all day there's a few.

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?
Rise of the Planet of the Apes, TV wise Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares.

Where can your readers follow you?

Twitter: amesmonde

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
Both Dead Pulse and Blood hunger are print and ebook. Oh and audio books. There’s also a duology edition excusive to Kindle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004URRNH2/

Image of A. M. Esmonde
Writer/Producer A. M. Esmonde was born in 1977 and lives in Wales, United Kingdom. As an avid film fan he is particularly fond of the horror genre, producing the films Terminus (2010) and Revamped (2009). The Breathing Dead (2008) was his first adventure horror novelette to be published followed by the horror books Blood Hunger (2010) and Dead Pulse (2011).


Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me and allowing us a glimpse into your writing word. 

An absolute pleasure. Cheers Patti.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...