Saturday, October 8, 2011

Interview with Author – Catherine Stovall Stolen: Book One of the Requiem of Humanity

Author - Catherine Stovall:  Where were you born and where do you call home? I was born in Orlando, Florida. Though I have lived many places. I will always call Alabama home. There is nowhere else in the world quite so wonderful.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say? My most recent book is Stolen. It is a not so typical YA vampire novel with lots of bite, originality, and surprising twist and turns.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say? Belle, being a malevolent woman, would demand a glass of warm blood straight from the vein before she graced anyone with her butter scotch voice. Jenda, however, would just want to thank everyone for reading about her misadventures because she is so very sweet.

Do you have plans for a new book? I am constantly working on new material. I joke that I suffer from writer’s ADD because I am working on several novels all at once right now. Is this book part of a series? Reborn: Book Two of the Requiem of Humanity is already complete so I am working to finish Book Three now. My other novels are not intended to be part of series but I never know until I near the end.

What or who inspired you to write? Writing has always come naturally to me. I come from a very articulate and artistic family. With this particular series I credit my children, my little sister, and all their friends with the inspiration. I wanted to give them a vampire novel with reminiscence of the true midnight monsters and less sexually charged material.   And how long have you been writing? I have been writing for as long as I can remember but my professional career has just begun.


Would you like to giveaway a copy of your book on this blog? I would love to and I am checking with my publisher to see about doing just that.

How did you come up with the title and cover design? The title for the book, Stolen, was an easy pick. After all, two of the characters are quite literally stolen. The cover represents a main theme in the book, which is Jenda’s crystal tree.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life? I think that all authors do include people in their life and their own experiences into their writing. I am no different. Many of my characters share similar traits with my friends and family.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why? The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and Insomnia by Stephen King are the most influential books I have ever read. The settings and characters are all worlds apart but share common denominators. The authors of these works managed to capture the characters in a three dimensional manner and display both their flaws and their virtues.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? I would love to meet Anne Rice. I, as many others do, consider Mrs. Rice to be the queen of horror. I think it would be fantastical to get her opinion on the uprising of YA vampire novels.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover? I don’t have a preference. Each has its pros and cons. The hardcover books are beautiful and enchanting, paperbacks offer the smell and comfortable feel of holding a well-worn favorite novel, and eBooks offer convenience and a wider variety of Indie authors.

Where do you prefer to buy your books? I have a large collection of paperback and hard cover books and I am constantly adding to that collection so I tend to buy my books from online sources that offer used books with cheap shipping.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author? No. Though I briefly considered the option, Stolen, was published by Untreed Reads.

Have you ever read a book more than once? Only in college, when I would bribe myself to get through the assigned reading material with the promise of a new novel.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version? No. I always prefer the book version of the story.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?  Sunny with a Chance of Homicide by T.R. Stoddard on eBook.

What book do you know that you will never read? I never say never.

Who designed the cover of your book? An extremely talented Alaskan artist, Christy Weber, who happens to be my sister designed the cover of Stolen. She read the description and quite literally transformed my written words into an exact replica of what I could see in my head. She is so very gifted.

Do you have a book trailer? Yes. It’s just a little something I put together.

What are your thoughts on book trailers? I think they are wonderful! Book trailers are so much fun to make for the author and they are another way to promote books to a generation of tech addicted minds.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Never give up. You may receive a hundred refusals but it only takes one yes.


Do you ever write in your PJ’s? Almost every line I have ever written was done while in my PJ’s. Being a mom, wife, and full time Office Manager, I spend my nights writing and my days being super mommy.

What are your pet peeves? Whistling out of tune. It drives me insane!

Cats or dogs?  I love cats, dogs, snakes, birds, fish, lizards, and just about every animal.

White wine or red? None for me thanks. A single glass of either and my head aches for two days.

Coffee or tea? I enjoy them both.

Favorite food? I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and pasta. If I have to pick a favorite though, its hands down sharp cheddar cheese.

What do you normally eat for breakfast? I hate to admit this. If there are any impressionable teens reading please understand this is not healthy for you and is very bad. My breakfast usually consist of a chocolate poptart and a Mountain Dew.

What are 4 things you never leave home without? My cell phone, my iPod Touch, my bracelets that show my support for cancer patients, and my camera.

Laptop or desktop for writing? I just got my first laptop this year. I know I am behind on times but it just wasn’t a necessity before. Now I can’t remember how I ever handled sitting at my desk to write for hours on end.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing? Everywhere and anywhere that the inspiration hits me.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you? I don’t think I would want any famous people. I would be happier with members of my family or my close friends. If I have to choose famous people then it would be Van Diesel because he’s fun to look at, Stephen King because he’d be great in conversation, and Xavier Colon so that he can build a boat and I could get back to the hustle and bustle of life.

One of your favorite quotes – “I don’t want to be rich. I just want to be wonderful.” By Marilyn Monroe


What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed? How I Met Your Mother. I find this show witty and entertaining. Neil Patrick Harris’ character is absolutely hilarious.

Where can your readers stalk you?

My facebook page: The Official Catherine Stovall Fan Page
Twitter: @CathStovall
Is your book in Print, ebook or both? eBook for now but we are working hard to obtain a print publisher.

About the book:
Jenda and Soborgne are best friends and everything they do, they do together. Unfortunately, this time the girls may be joined at the hip in a far more horrible way: by death.

The girls are kidnapped and held captive by Belle and Matteo, two vampires with a plan. Belle, a sociopath in life and death, is searching for an heir to her reign as the only vampire to hold the secret to surviving the sun. Matteo is a lost soul who would give anything to be loved and to see the light of day. As the four characters’ worlds collide, blood is spilled, lives are lost, and rules are broken.

Disappointment in love and life bring out the worst in humans but, with vampires, it leads to a chilling tale of romance and terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...