Sunday, October 9, 2011

Up Close & Personal with David Kubicek, Author of In Human Form

Author interview with David Kubicek:  Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA, where I live with my wife Cheryl, son Sean, two dogs, and a cat who thinks he owns the place.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

My most recent novel is In Human Form.

Wendy loses her memory, forgetting she’s an android. The few who have guessed her secret hide her identity even from her, putting Wendy and her friends in mortal danger.

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?

In Human Form is the first book in a planned trilogy, but the story is complete in itself--only the main characters will continue to volumes 2 and 3 (I’ll also add new characters). I’m already working on volume 2.

What or who inspired you to write?  And how long have you been writing?

I decided to become a writer after devouring Ray Bradbury’s Martian Chronicles. Stephen King also has inspired me. The influence of both Bradbury and King can be seen in the pages of In Human Form.

I’ve been writing for years and years and years. And years.

Would you like to giveaway a copy of your book on this blog?

Sure.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?

My wife suggested the title, which seemed appropriate because Wendy looks and acts human, but she is an android. A house fire triggers the events in the story, so I thought that would be a good focal point for the cover, which was designed by a wonderful artist and Indie writer named Joleene Naylor.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?

Jared Parker, the former farmer and now businessman who finds Wendy wandering dazed in the country, was inspired by my Dad. Although some of myself went into all of the characters, Aaron McCormick, the police officer who falls in love with Wendy, got the lion’s share of my personality.

What books have influenced your writing most and why?

I learn from every book I read. From the good ones I learn a lot about how to tell a story, and from the bad ones I learn how not to tell a story. I’ve learned more about how to write a novel from reading novels than I’ve learned from all of the writing how-to books I’ve ever read.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

Years ago I exchanged brief words with Stephen King when he was on a book tour for The Dead Zone, but I’d like to sit down with him for a lengthy discussion.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

All of the above. I read whatever’s handy.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?

Barnes & Noble online because I get free shipping for the paper books, and I have a Nook for the ebooks, but I also shop on Amazon and at Indie bookstores.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

Yes.

Have you ever read a book more than once?

Yes, several.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

Logan’s Run. I thought the movie actually improved on the book.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

Ghost Dog of Roanoke Island by C.K. Volnek and Mile 81 by Stephen King. Both are ebooks.

What book do you know that you will never read?

Never say never.

Are there any new Authors that have grasped your interest and why?

I read Amanda Hocking’s Trylle Trilogy. She’s a good storyteller.

Do you have a book trailer?

                                                                                                   
What are your thoughts on book trailers?

They’re a good piece of an author’s marketing package, but most readers probably will not base their buying decisions on the trailer.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Never give up on your writing or on marketing what you write. When marketing yourself, if something doesn’t work, try something else, and keep trying different things until you hit on something that works. Put up a website and/or blog; whether you are an Indie author or traditionally-published author, an Internet presence is essential. And above all else, be patient; the only way you can fail is if you quit.

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?

 “Write as well as you can, and finish what you start.” --Ernest Hemingway.

Do you write under a pen name?

Not yet.

What are your pet peeves?

Snobbery in any form, but particularly literary snobbery.

Cats or dogs?

I prefer cats because they’re low-maintenance. But dogs are cool, too; we have a couple of them.

Coffee or tea?

Decaf coffee.

Favorite food?

My wife’s pizza; it’s better than any commercially-made pizza that I’ve ever eaten.

Vanilla or chocolate ice cream?

Chocolate.

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

Two eggs, a piece of fruit, and green tea.

What are 4 things you never leave home without?

Wireless phone, wallet, keys, reading glasses.

Laptop or desktop for writing?

Desktop--my don’t fit the laptop keyboard as well.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

In my basement office. I start around 10:00 a.m. and write until 12 or 12:30. Sometimes if I’m on a roll I’ll work longer. This is the process of physically writing--my mind is working 24-7; I once woke up in the morning with two short story ideas that had come to me while I slept.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?

Abraham Lincoln, Stephen King, Neil Armstrong.

One of your favorite quotes -

“I disagree with the advice ‘Write about what you know.’ Write about what you need to know, in an effort to understand.” – Donald Windham

List 3 of your all time favorite books?

It’s an impossible task to name my all time favorites, but three books I really like are:

Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

List 3 of your all time favorite movies?

This is hard. I’m a movie buff, and can lists lots of great movies. But if I must be limited to three:

It’s A Wonderful Life
Ladyhawke
Independence Day

But ask me tomorrow, and those could change.

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?

Warehouse 13

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
Both.
Where can your readers stalk you?


About the book:
In the early days of World War II a violent explosion rattled the small Nebraska town of Antelope Valley, shattering windows in farmhouses out on Old Ridge Road. The next day, the five strangers arrived. They paid cash for a farm, built a new house, and planted crops. They avoided the townspeople, and after a few failed attempts to be neighborly, the townspeople avoided them.

Forty years later, during another thunderstorm, a mysterious fire guts the farmhouse and claims the life of the last surviving stranger. Although his daughter Wendy escapes, she has been traumatized, and her memory is gone. But Wendy has a secret that even she doesn’t know, and the few who have figured it out are keeping her in the dark. While recuperating at the home of local businessman Jared Parker and his wife Lyn, she makes many friends in the community, including 17-year-old aspiring folk singer Priscilla Davenport and police officer Aaron McCormick, who falls in love with her. As Wendy’s memories return, suspicions about her leak out to the sinister and ruthless Earl Vaughn, who seeks to profit from Wendy’s tragedy no matter who gets hurt. Will Wendy’s self-awareness come too late to save her life and the lives of everyone she loves?


David Kubicek

Image of David Kubicek
I'm a fiction writer, blogger, and journalist. I have edited and published books, and I've published several short stories and hundreds of articles. My books include In Human Form (a novel), The Moaning Rocks and Other Stories, The Pelican in the Desert and Other Stories of the Family Farm (which I edited), and October Dreams, A Harvest of Horror (which I edited with Jeff Mason). I also wrote a Cliffs Notes on Willa Cather's My Antonia. I live with my wife Cheryl and son Sean in Lincoln, Nebraska.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out :)

    Great interview! I can, with confidence, recommend both this book and David Kubicek's short story collection - both are excellent!

    And he has good taste in movies, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us. This looks like a really good read and I am hopping over to check out more :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...