Friday, January 6, 2012

Author Interview with Niamh Clune - Orange Petals In A Storm


Hi Niamh, where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in Dublin and have lived and worked in many countries. At present I live in the UK on a boat on the River Thames. I don't know that I relate to Home anymore. I think of myself as a World Citizen. perhaps that's why I live on a boat...home is very fluid!

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
Orange Petals in a Storm is an inspirational story to feed the soul. In Skyla's world, we find rescue from every hazard and outlive the longest night.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say? "Look to the light within. It is always there to guide us."

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series? This is Part One of the Skyla McFee series. Part two will be launched early next year. It is entitled Exaltation of a Rose.

What or who inspired you to write?  And how long have you been writing? The birth of my granddaughter inspired this book. I have been writing since I was twelve. I also write songs. 

How did you come up with the title and cover design? The title emerged as the story evolved. I needed a metaphor that would convey something delicate and beautiful being blown about by the harshness of Skyla's mundane reality.  I wanted to keep the cover simple. What better idea than to celebrate nature herself. No better artist! So I focussed on an Orange Rose.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life? All my ideas are drawn from life experiences. I have led a rich, full life filled with wonderful adventures both inner and outer. Most of my working life has been concerned with the Psyche and how it works, so my inner world stories are based on visionary experiences both my own and people I have worked with. In my capacity as as Doctor of Transpersonal Psychology, I have even been blessed to participate in the inner world of other cultures during my time working in Africa.


What books have most influenced your writing most and why? Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin for its pace, dialogue and what is not said; Narcissus and Goldmund  by Jean Paul Sartre for being intriguing philosophical ideas woven into a simple story; Lord of the Rings by Tolkein for being the book I love to curl up with and escape the world; and Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee for being the most beautiful, detailed, prosaic account of English village life. There are many more, but those spring to mind as being particularly influential.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? No! Not Really! I am not the sort of person who is caught up in celebrity. I don't think writers are meant to be met. We can meet them through their books in our imaginations.
Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover? Always a paperback.

Where do you prefer to buy your books? In a bookshop.
Have you ever read a book more than once? I have read Pride and prejudice many times, as I absolutely love the prose. 
Do you have a book trailer? Yes I have a book trailer. It can be seen on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqcOH1VoBAg


What are your thoughts on book trailers? I think, these days, we have to use every form of media available to promote our books.
Do you have any advice for other writers? Only this: Don't be afraid to edit, edit, edit. Don't become too attached to the prose you write... Pay attention to the little words... Writing is VERY hard work.

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing? Basically, what I have said in answer to the last question.
Do you write under a pen name? No! Not Yet. Might have to, though...

What are your pet peeves? Bad grammar. 
If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you? Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, John Lennon.

One of your favorite quotes - "All Angels Are Terrible!" by Rilke

Where can your readers stalk you?


--
Dr. Niamh Clune 

Inspirational stories to feed the soul!

Phone: 44 07766140118
niamhclune@gmail.com

Skype: niamh.clune

Links:
A loveahappyending.com featured Author


Orange Petals in a Storm: A spiritual, inspirational story to feed the soul. In Skyla's world, we find shelter from every hazard and outlive the longest night.

A bedraggled and bruised eleven-year-old child races through the rain-drenched streets of East London as though the hounds of hell were after her. She tries to reach the home of her childhood, a home that was hers until her mother’s recent death. What becomes of Skyla McFee once she arrives there? From whom does she run?


This is a story about a wonderful child who endures great suffering at the hands of her stepfather. Though she lives in a harsh reality, she evolves spiritually despite, or perhaps because of the hurt she suffers. The magical way she transcends her unbearable life through her inner world transports us into the hauntingly beautiful world of the imagination. Telling you that Skyla triumphs over her situation is not a spoiler – because as you get to know her, you realise there is no other way. She must triumph because of who she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...