Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Author Interview with Martin Rouillard - Rise of the Red Dragon (Tales of the Lorekeepers - Tome 1)

Win a free ebook "Rise of the Red Dragon"

Competition closes on the 21st of April.  To enter all you have to do is tweet and facebook this post, follow this blog and like the authors book on Amazon.  Then leave a comment and your email address in the comments box below.

Where were you born and where do you call home? 

I was born in Québec, Canada. Now I live in Boischatel, just outside of Québec City, with my lovely wife and two dogs. I definitely call this place home, a place where I can be myself and feel welcome, no matter what happens.

Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.

I just got married last summer and my wife is simply amazing. Accepting to tie the knot with a self-publishing author, with no books published (at the time) and working full-time on his first novel, that's what I call love!

Patti says: congratulations - that's fantastic :))

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?

The book is called Rise of the Red Dragon and it's the story of Samuel, a teenage boy who is magically transported to a parallel universe, in ancient Britain, where he needs to save a legend.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?

I would have to give that opportunity to Angeline, but predicting what that little fairy would say is practically impossible. She would probably tell us to stop whining so much about everything and do something about it.

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?

Yes, this book is part of a series, called Tales of the Lorekeepers. Each book will present a different legend, from any mythology, that Samuel needs to protect from evil forces trying to change it.

What books have influenced your writing?

Although it is not in the same genre, I would have to say any work from H.P. Lovecraft influenced me quite a bit. My writing is nowhere close to his of course, but I love the way he describes scenes and atmospheres. As far as story goes and character building, I think The Dresden Files from Jim Butcher and of course, Harry Potter from J. K. Rowling.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

Ebooks. I used to prefer traditional books but ebooks are just so much more convenient. However, I must admit I like having a well-stocked bookcase.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?

Yes. I decided to go indie without sending my manuscript to a traditional publisher. I have been in business all my life and to me, this isn't any different. With the tools available to authors these days, it just made more sense to me.

What book would you like to read again?

It, by Stephen King. It was probably the first book I really got into when I was young and would love to see how I would feel about it today.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?

The Green Mile, hands down. The cast in the movie was incredible and the story very well adapted.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin, in ebook format. I know, I am late to the party.

Patti says:  I LOVE this series and started reading the books after I saw the first season on TV.  Now I am totally hooked. So you're not the only one late to the party - but - better late than never!!!

Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?

Any active member of the Indie Fantasy Authors Group on Facebook. Their work is definitely next on my "to-read" list.

Who designed the cover of your book?

The dragons were sketched and inked by a friend of mine, Delmar Samatar. I added the colors and made the cover myself from his work.

Do you buy a book by the cover?

I must confess that I do indeed.

Do you have a book trailer?

Not yet, but hopefully I can find the time to put one together soon.

What are your thoughts on book trailers?

I think we are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg. Sooner or later, book trailers will be a lot more present in our medias. We are seeing commercials for video games on TV right now, so why not books? With authors taking marketing in their own hands and fighting for customer's attention, book trailers are sure to grow in popularity.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Since I am still new to this industry, I'm still learning a lot myself. However, I will say this: find yourself a good author group to join. Facebook groups like Indie Author Group are a great place to get information and resources. Don't be shy to ask questions and to comment either. Everyone is in the same boat and trying to help each other.

Do you write under a pen name?

No.

What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.

March 21st 1977.

Did you have a favorite toy as a child?

I loved Hot Wheels. I would make up endless lines of miniature cars and then move then one by one across the house. I was a pretty quiet child.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?

Are you kidding me? This is the best part of being self-employed! I'm usually in my PJ's until lunch.

Patti says:  Me too!!

What are your pet peeves? 

Anything that has to do with traffic. People cutting in line at the last minute while you waited the entire mile or not letting you merge into traffic when you're trying to get on the highway, that sort of thing. Actually, people without manners in general are a major pet peeve. People who can't learn to live in society and respect others should just stay home.

Any pets that you would like to tell us about, share a pic?

I do have two dogs, a Labrador retriever named Moka and a miniature Dachshund named Charlotte. One of my characters, Angeline, is more or less based on Charlotte and what she would say if she could talk.

White wine or red?

Red

Coffee or tea?

Coffee. And then more coffee. And some more coffee.

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food?

I love to cook. I started making my own pasta recently and it is the absolute best.

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream?

Vanilla.

What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work?

I usually get up, grab a cup of coffee and go straight to work.

Sleep in or get up early?

I get up early, although not as early as I did before. I used to get up around 4:30 or 5:00. Now, I sleep in until 6:30.

Laptop or desktop for writing?

Desktop.

Your favorite gadget - 

iPad. And my pasta extruder.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

At home, in the morning. I am definitely a morning person.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - 

My very first review was for a short story and I got 5 stars. I thought my writing was a gift I was offering to the world. Then I got crushed by another reviewer, saying the story had probably been written by a French kid. I was devastated. However, I learned a lot from both the good and the bad reviews. Ultimately, it showed me my strengths and weaknesses as a writer. It also taught me that I definitely need someone to professionally edit my work before I publish it.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?

Lemmy Kilmister, Anne Hathaway and Chad Ochocinco

Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?

Costa del Sol in southern Spain. I've been lucky to visit so many gorgeous place already, this would have to be the next one.

One of your favorite quotes -

It's always impossible until it is done. - Nelson Mandela

List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend?

1) Any H.P. Lovecraft anthology

List 3 of your favorite movies?


An actor or a book character you have a crush on -

Scarlett Johansson

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?

I really like this new show called The River, but I'm still looking for something to fill the void left by Lost.

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?  Feel free to add pics.

I have no idea really, but I know I need Sean Bean (Boromir) to play a part in it. It's just the way it is now.

Patti Says: you know it is said that Sean Bean has died in all the Movies/TV he has "been" in!  Darn it!  The latest of course was as Lord Stark in Game Of Thrones.

Where can your readers stalk you?

Twitter: @MartinRouillard

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

Both:

Ebook:




Paperback




If you have enjoyed reading about Martin, please leave a comment for him in the comments box below.  Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...