Friday, May 30, 2014

Author interview with Rebecca Lauren - New book release, Our Forever Summer


Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
I recently had a baby and I am so in love! Her wonderful sleeping habits, coupled with the snowy, cold winter allowed for me to finish this book!

What inspired you to start writing, and when?
I’ve been writing stories ever since I was a young girl. I was always complimented on my writing, though I never thought of doing anything with it until I stopped working and stayed home to raise my daughters.

How many books have you written?  If more than one, are any a series…or trilogy?
I have done lots of writing and other short stories (many other different names and publishers) but this is the first one that is entirely mine.

What is the name of your most recent book and please sum it up in 50 words or less.
Our Forever SummerIt’s the unlikely love story of  a romance between two teenagers from completely different worlds. Something happens at the end of the summer that shatters their relationship and they lose touch. They reconnect ten years later, but a secret threatens everything.

Do you have plans for a new book?
Yes! I have dozens of ideas – and two books that have been started but not completed. I may finish one of those before I move on to a new idea!

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
I would love to meet JK Rowling. Her imagination and creativity are mind-blowing!

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I love the convenience of ebooks, and their existence allows me to publish my work! But I have a soft spot for a beat up paperback that I can toss in my bag and take anywhere.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
I buy nearly all my books through Amazon

Are you a self- published (Indie) Author? Yes!

What books would you like to read again?
I really love all genres, but it’s the romance and paranormal/fantasy books that I want to read again and again. I get lost in those books! And you always find something new when you read a paranormal or fantasy book again.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
I am a HUGE believer in books always being better than movies. But one does come to mind. The Notebook. I read The Notebook not long after it came out, and found it just okay. But the movie – well that’s a different story! Otherwise, I really can’t think of another example.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
I actually just finished Flowers in the Attic. I don’t know how I had never read that book, but I feel like the last person on the face of the earth to discover that series.

Who designed the cover of your book?
Patti Roberts – she was great to work with!

Do you find yourself intrigued by the cover of a book enough to buy it? 
Usually the cover of the book will intrigue me to read the synopsis. Then I make the decision to buy or not.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
This is my first real book, so I really don’t feel as if I’m in any place to give advice. But I will say – don’t underestimate yourself. Three years ago when I first began writing short stories for profit, I thought that I could never write an actual book. It seemed so daunting. But as time went on, and I gained more experience, I had a lot more faith in myself and I realized it was a real possibility!

Do you write under a pen name?  A Yes or No answer is fine.
Yes – but I use my real first name

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Yes! I stay home with my two daughters, so I find myself writing at all different times of the day. Usually I write in the afternoon, while the girls are napping, or in the evening after they have gone to bed.

What are your pet peeves?
My biggest pet peeve is when people don’t RSVP to events. It drives me crazy!! If the event is important enough that you’re being asked to respond, then please be courteous!


What are your favorite food and beverage?
Steamed crabs and a margarita on the rocks with salt

Do you write outside of your favorite genre?  Why?
Yes. I have a few favorite genres – I like to write romance, paranormal and YA.

In your case, how many hours do you devote to research and writing per day?
Roughly 1-2 hours a day but it can vary any given week

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
Snacks for my oldest, diapers for my youngest, hand sanitizer (I’m a bit of a germaphobe) and my water bottle

Sleep in or get up early?
I have two small children so my days of sleeping in are well in the past.

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop – it’s essential because I write all over the house, and even sometimes in the car. Especially having two children. Sometimes I’m writing in one of their bedrooms, or the playroom (Which surprisingly is the quietest room in our house)

Your favorite gadget - 
iPhone – it contains my life!

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
Usually in the afternoon when my daughters are napping  - and at that time of day I can usually be found on the living room couch or at the kitchen table.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - 
I really love getting reviews – and I appreciate the constructive ones. However, I get annoyed with the people who leave bad reviews complaining about something that they failed to notice in the book information example – genre, length, characters

Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?
The Maldives – it’s on my bucket list
One of your favorite quotes –
“Life is what you make of it, not what it makes out of you.” It’s from a cheesy TV movie with Lea Thompson that I watched as a teenager, but it’s always stuck with me

List 3 of your favorite movies?
It’s a Wonderful Life
The Sound of Music
Hook

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?
I became hooked on Orange is the New Black – I can’t wait for the second season. I definitely binge watch shows

Where can your readers stalk you? Right now I only have Twitter, but hope to build on that
Twitter: @writer_rebecca

Is your book in Print, ebook or both? ebook

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview, it has been fun, and allowing us a glimpse into your writing word.  I hope you share this interview with your friends so we can all get to know you a little better. 

Patti Roberts
Author/Book cover designer



Buy your copy now on Amazon - HERE



If you have enjoyed reading this post, please share it with your friends - and help support an indie author. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...