Monday, May 12, 2014

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL - Author Interview with Helen Johnston


Author Interview with Helen Johnston - book two of the Journey of Innocence Series, Innocence Reclaimed.

Where were you born and where do you call home? I was born in Southampton, Hampshire, and it’s still where I call home.
Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
I never thought I’d turn down a publishing contract but I found myself doing just that this week. They just couldn’t offer me what I need at the moment.

How many books have you written?  If more than one, are any a series…or trilogy?
This series is a trilogy, and I’ve already written book one of a new series that I’m hoping to get out next year.
What is the name of your most recent book and please sum it up in 50 words or less.
Innocence Reclaimed. 50 words? It’s a continuation of Innocence Lost. We catch up with Siobhan and her new friends and how life is treating her in the French chateau. We wait to see when Blake will make his move and come to her rescue, meanwhile her love for Jarryd is simmering just under the surface.  I think that’s 51 words lol!
If you gave one of your characters in any of your books an opportunity to speak for themselves outside the realm of the story, what would they say?
Blake, the leading man/vampire would probably have a go at me for what Siobhan went through. He always snarls in my head about it.
Do you have plans for a new book?
Book three of this series, Innocence Reclaimed, will be out later this year. And a new set that I’ve been working on should start next year sometime.
What books or authors have influenced your writing the most?
There are so many amazing authors I have read, far too many to name, but I did recently meet Sherrilyn Kenyon, I’ve loved her Dark Hunter books for years so it was an honour meeting her.
Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
JK Rowling.
Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I think each one has their own merits. For convince I love ebooks, for my bookshelves I love hardbacks, and for just grabbing a book to read paperbacks are what I love.
Where do you prefer to buy your books?
I mostly get my books from Amazon now. Whoever come up with one click needs to be beaten lol, it’s a dangerous tool!
Are you a self- published (Indie) Author?
Yes at the moment I’m self-published, but would love to have the weight of a large publishing house behind me, enabling me to get my books into book shops.  
What books would you like to read again?
G A Aiken, the Dragon series.
Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
No I think books are far better, you just can’t go into the detail that a book can on film.
What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
I am reading Dan Brown’s Inferno. Paperback, it was on special.
Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
Laurann Dohaner, shes wrote loads but I just love her New Species series. Very hot and sexy, right up my street.
Do you find yourself intrigued by the cover of a book enough to buy it?
I usually look at the cover and read the blurb on the back, then if I’m intrigued I will buy it.
 
Do you have a book trailer?
I’ve got one for the first book, Innocence Lost, but as of yet, I’ve not got one for Innocence Reclaimed.
What are your thoughts on book trailers?
I love them, they are a great marketing tool. But they are quite pricy to make or to have made for you.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Don’t do it! Lol, no, just research your genre, and if you’re going to self-publish make sure you know what you need to do before you even pick up a pen or click on your computer.
Do you write under a pen name?  A Yes or No answer is fine.
No
What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.
30th July…
Did you have a favorite toy as a child?
Not really, as a really young child I remember having a space hopper.
An early childhood memory –
Running wild in France while camping with my parents, they travelled around France a lot, and I still can’t speak French!
Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Most of the time I’m in my PJ’s lol!

Any pets that you would like to tell us about?
I recently lost one of my cats, Jinxy. He was a beautiful male cat and very soft. Wouldn’t hurt a fly. I used to dance around the room, singing with him and he’d get this look of ‘please someone save me.’ I miss him. 
What are your favorite food and beverage?
I’m allergic to caffeine so coffee and tea are out for me, I think I’m the only writer I know of who doesn’t soak up coffee. My drug of choice is chocolate, but I’m trying to cut back on that too.
In your case, how many hours do you devote to research and writing per day?
Probably only four to six as I work full time.
What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
Business cards, flyers, a pen and notepad.
Sleep in or get up early?
Sleep in, I’m a night owl so my mornings are devoted to me in bed.
Laptop or desktop for writing?
I use a desktop, but started out on a laptop.
Your favorite gadget –
My phone! Id die without it!
Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
At the moment we are redesigning out dining room, so my study is on the dining room table.  I don’t have a preferred time, I just sit my ass down and do what I can.
Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad –
you can’t please all the people all the time. Due to the nature of my books they aren’t going to appeal to some people. Bad reviews, they hurt I won’t lie, but you just have to switch off to the nasty remarks and carry on. I’m learning all the time and hopefully I’m getting better at my craft.
Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?
I love love love Vegas, I have been there four times and I would love to go back. I loved it so much I use is in my books. It’s such a busy, noisy, bright place. I’m such a city girl that I could be happy there for weeks on end.

One of your favorite quotes –
Let me be the one to run my fingers through your soul. It just called out to me.
List 3 of your favorite movies?
Beaches, LOTRs, all Harry Potters.
An actor, author or a book character you admire.
JK Rowling.
What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?
The Original’s and Game of Thrones. I don’t really have time to watch TV but those two I make the time for.
If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?  
*Laughing* I’m not sure my books could be made into movies! They would be on the top shelf made by adult entertainers!
Where can your readers stalk you?
My Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/dashboard
Is your book in Print, ebook or both? Both
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview, it has been fun, and allowing us a glimpse into your writing word.  I hope you share this interview with your friends so we can all get to know you a little better. 

Thank you for having me on your Blog Patti. 


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...